18/09/2011

'Sita Sings the Blues'



This film is one of my favourite animation films.

I've had tremendous problems with रामायण. It's possible that वाल्मीकि  wrote a रामायण very different from the one we read today. But its influence on our country and the psyche of our people has been tremendously powerful so I'm always grateful when people question, critically examine or even have a bit of fun with the story. Like Nina Paley does in Sita Sings the Blues. It's a delight to anybody who likes a twist, or jazz music, or films with interesting narratives. It's one of those films which you enjoy with your eyes, ears and mind as well.

PS: Youtube Movies, FTW!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I love it! Such stunning visuals, such simplicity in 2D without loss of a captivating narrative. I love how the inspiration came to her. It's personal, painful and ugly... but she channelled it so beautifully into this.

    You probably already know this: she funded the whole project herself, had a tough time with the international IPR regime, had to release the film the way she did, et cetera, et cetera.

    Its making makes for a fascinating story in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her blog - your comment led me to it, thanks. :)

    I didn't know the story/struggle behind releasing Sita Sings the Blues - I honestly thought she was only taking a dig at the financial machinery behind creative arts when the credits said "Your Name Here presents"... "in association with Your Money"... "a Funded by You production", etc. I had no idea she meant it literally too!

    I first saw this film at IDC (Industrial Design Centre) in IIT. They're known for being unorthodox and to me they define everything cool. :)

    ReplyDelete

goodness.

 My first response to reading this blog again was, seriously, a post on parenting - that was what I last posted about? I can't help but ...