28/05/2009

The Unbelievable Hattrick

What happens when the name of a place matters to you enough to make you want to dedicate seven months of your life to writing a paper on it? You are torn apart, ravaged by love for it, but you are happy.

Whenever Sonu, Sharan and I have reached the tipping point of beginning to research or write our previous papers, we have always had a blinding, extremely unsettling and frightful dilemma. It goes a bit like this:

Oh, my god.
Are we truly, madly, deeply insane?

What the hell are we doing?
Why the hell are we doing this?
How the hell are we doing this?

Why?!

***

In the end, it has always worked out, somehow, someway. We've been scratched, bruised, heavily bandaged - but we're still alive! This time we're probably throwing ourselves for more than we can possibly handle, and

"Christ, you know it ain't easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
You're gonna crucify me!"

but hell, we're in. For good now, so

"She's got a ticket to ride
And she don't care!"

Because some day

"It's been a hard day's night
And I've been working like a dog.
It's been a hard day's night
I should be sleeping like a log!"

6 comments:

  1. This post was started on 4th April this year and for some reason, was never published by me. I was going through it today and I realised how much things have changed - not just our topic (which was Post-Colonial Bombay literature then, and has now become an analysis of women characters in Aparna Sen's films - yeah, don't ask!) but also our motivations, feelings, writing styles, needs (:D, Sonu and Sharan!) but also our general perspective on things. So many things.

    Now, I'm hoping we can just

    "Come together
    Right now,
    Over me!"

    Seriously, songs by the Beatles have the power to perfectly fit anything happening in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bastards, them all. Let's show 'em, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am not liking( I like how Indian I'm going to sound :)) men, and women who succumb to them chauvinists at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now it looks as though they're here to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ♥ the Beatles! best of luck with this paper, S has been telling me all about it.

    x
    JAG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heheh, Sharan's feminist cup runneth over, eh? :D

    Yes, Sonu. I am also not liking very much the ladies in the films. The men they stare all, and the women they bare all! Not good, I'm saying :D

    Ryan, wonder how [we] manage to make ends meet? :D

    JAG, I was just telling Sharan the other day, your online tag-name completely contradicts you! You are so very not just a girl :) Thank you, though. We need all the wishes we can get, and more :D And yeah.. the Beatles.. awesomeness, mm.

    ReplyDelete

goodness.

 My first response to reading this blog again was, seriously, a post on parenting - that was what I last posted about? I can't help but ...