01/09/2007

Everydays

It was when I was in 9th that I began to notice the whats-up phenomenon. It was a phenomenon in its own right; everybody seemed to be swept by the two words. Whenever I met a friend say after a week, those two words would issue forth.

I think it was the same time when conversation started to become compact. Situations were abbreviated, gesticulations were more and more flowery and in cyberspace, emoticons created a short-cut for my tongue. I knew the right word was waiting to be thrown out, but the urgency to articulate was too great. This is something I constantly experience not only in a real but also in a virtual conversation.

I love walking on a road unknown and unsought for. Sometimes I wonder if friends have become a necessity to flatter the need to be heard, understood and most importantly known. There is great peace in being alone. Not because you're a rebel without a reason, but because if you give yourself time, there's so much to listen to, so much to wonder about. We do have moments of what I call cosmic connections; something like an intuitive strand which weaves itself between two people. These moments are beautiful and are always cherished lovingly. But it's the rarity, the yawning eternity between these moments which makes them so beautiful. I wonder why we have to ceaselessly search for something like that, some semblance of purpose, need, existential worth.

I still feel a little disconnected when somebody asks me what's up. As if there is this tremendous need for things to be bright, perky and strawberry-pink. I like the worn-out-socks comfort of a day when I get a bus on time, when the train compartment is not reeking with Darwinism and when the sun isn't sweaty and thirsty. Or days when I don't get a bus on time, when the trains are reeking with Darwinism but I'm under my umbrella and still smiling at a puzzled sun. How do you describe a day when you just sat on the train, straight from Dadar to Kanjurmarg, just peacefully thinking about nothing at all. I remember something I read from a Calvin and Hobbes Jumbo Book:

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin

Amen to everydays.

3 comments:

  1. I SO know that feeling.I mean, what are you supposed to tell them when they ask you that???Its funny you should write a post on this coz I did the same a year back on my blog but the article was very differently written.
    Its true, you know. Why cant just nothing happen?

    Loved the quote. And the lines abt the strawberry pink and old socks. You're wise beyind your years,Vini. There's such a different side of you on this blog.
    You're right. There is a need..for a unifictaion.


    best of luck..

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the mark of a great friendship is when you can comfortably simply sit in silence together...
    A-mazing! I love the blog vini ji!
    love you also!
    hope the sprain is better and we'll see you in college soon!
    happy blogging!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody said the same damn thing - and it's so rare. I think we ought to just sit down at Worli sea-face some time and bask in the silence.

    Thanks Tina.

    ReplyDelete

goodness.

 My first response to reading this blog again was, seriously, a post on parenting - that was what I last posted about? I can't help but ...